Photography How did you learn photography?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Wizardinvestor

Feb 7, 2021
I am self taught. My spouse bought the olympus pen-epl9 Camera for autumn
2018. I researched and wondered how it works. In the spring of 2019, I bought an Olympus M5 mark 3 camera.

I watched tutorial videos online and read tips from the Olympus Blogs. I'm not a "100% pure Macro photographer". I like to take all kinds of pictures. But now at this moment macro photography is close to my heart! <3
These guides I've been looking for. Someone could start making tutorial videos here in the forum.

I didn't really suggest starting to do it because my English is the same as Tommi Mäkinen's :D

Have u seen this clip! :D

• Haha
Reactions: Jack

Desc1234

Jan 6, 2021
I think you did get into it fast as its interesting field to explore. You also made some friends here as well :)
Yes, I've made a lot of new friends here and in an FB group I frequent:) I was referring to my education and mentoring back in the 90s. Those guys, the professors and the photojournalists were harsh critics, both in terms of technique and content. I'm not a proponent of negative reinforcement, but one thing it did leave behind was being demanding on my own work. I always see things that could be improved. I remember in the film days it would take hours in the darkroom to come up with a set of exhibition quality prints. I don't miss film one bit. The people (the hipsters) you see with Nikon Fs round their necks who tell you that analogue looks different and "nicer" or "retro" are talking out their backsides and more often than not know nothing about images with a full range of tones (using the zone system).

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I think you did get into it fast as its interesting field to explore. You also made some friends here as well :)
Yes, I've made a lot of new friends here and in an FB group I frequent:) I was referring to my education and mentoring back in the 90s. Those guys, the professors and the photojournalists were harsh critics, both in terms of technique and content. I'm not a proponent of negative reinforcement, but one thing it did leave behind was being demanding on my own work. I always see things that could be improved. I remember in the film days it would take hours in the darkroom to come up with a set of exhibition quality prints. I don't miss film one bit. The people (the hipsters) you see with Nikon Fs round their necks who tell you that analogue looks different and "nicer" or "retro" are talking out their backsides and more often than not know nothing about images with a full range of tones (using the zone system).
In my opinion, from every person you meet, you can learn something. It's good when you have friends and professors who can advice you and put on the right path. But when you learning yourself, I bet, it's more challenging. :)

Reactions: Desc1234

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I am self taught. My spouse bought the olympus pen-epl9 Camera for autumn
2018. I researched and wondered how it works. In the spring of 2019, I bought an Olympus M5 mark 3 camera.

I watched tutorial videos online and read tips from the Olympus Blogs. I'm not a "100% pure Macro photographer". I like to take all kinds of pictures. But now at this moment macro photography is close to my heart! <3
I haven't seen it, but that made me laugh a lot.

It's not about English, art and photography doesn't know language. So if you want to do some tutorials, feel free.

Reactions: Wizardinvestor

Bihari

Jul 27, 2020
I bought the first camera 3 years ago only for holiday purposes photography didn't bothered me until I bought my first macro lens in January 2020 since than I learned with experimenting (clicking a lot xD) also always asking or looking forward for building criticism or suggestions :) (I get most of it on this site and Instagram) .
Wow that is nice. I wish I could spend more time with photography. I am far from good but it's good enough for me 😊

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I bought the first camera 3 years ago only for holiday purposes photography didn't bothered me until I bought my first macro lens in January 2020 since than I learned with experimenting (clicking a lot xD) also always asking or looking forward for building criticism or suggestions :) (I get most of it on this site and Instagram) .
sadly due of this pandemic, I didn't used my camera a lot. Also taking in consideration is 4 years old now, and is still in mint condition 😅

Reactions: Bihari

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I don't miss film one bit.
neither do I.
The people (the hipsters) you see with Nikon Fs round their necks who tell you that analogue looks different and "nicer" or "retro" are talking out their backsides and more often than not know nothing about images with a full range of tones (using the zone system).
I agree with every single word. that's the same people who keep asking in forums "where can I have my film roll developed?". they know nothing. developing film and paper is a pain in the neck.

Reactions: Desc1234

Bihari

Jul 27, 2020
Yes this pandemic turned everything upside down....... That's still smells like a new then 🙂 mein is around 13 years old 😅 but in mint condition.

Desc1234

Jan 6, 2021
neither do I.

I agree with every single word. that's the same people who keep asking in forums "where can I have my film roll developed?". they know nothing. developing film and paper is a pain in the neck.
Tell me about it...in the film days you had to push or pull BW film to influence speed or contrast. You could influence grain and contrast by diluting developer (3+l D76 for less grain and more definition or by using acufine to push TriX to 1600 whilst enhancing acutance).Then you had to use the right grade of paper. You could further influence contrast or suppress grain by hand mixing developer - increasing the metol component would suppress grain and contrast; you could also omit hydroquinone entirely to get more softness if you pushed to 1600, or you could increase hydro to get more contrast with thinner negs. You also had to remember that your print gained a bit of contrast once you plunged it into the fixer bath. And finally - for those small areas where you had shadow detail but were too small to dodge effectively, you could (or had to) locally hand bleach with a q-tip under running water. I hated all that. Holy shit, what a lot of time-consuming tinkering that was! To say nothing of the dermatitis I used to get from chemicals. I'd rather spend my time out shooting pictures.

Reactions: kzurro

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
wow, 13 years old, and you still using it?

• Haha
Reactions: Bihari