laptop for photographers on a limited budget for photo editing

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Accumulator

Apr 11, 2020
Hi all
I am in the market for a new laptop
preference is Lenova
I have read that gaming laptops is more reliable that standard entry level laptops.
So here in South Africa as our currency is bad to the dollar.
Can i go for the intel processor core i5 4gb graphics card 512 ssd hd 8gb ram witha fhd ips screen?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The settings mention above by you are very stable and enough for editing pictures, unless you running more then one software at the time, which might cause some slowness due of low CPU.

Also what's your budget and is there any specific brand you wanna go, apart from Lenova ?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I have 2 laptops, and both are HP brand (envy) , and I'm very happy wtih them.

Annotation 2020-04-30 190808.png

I have 1TB memory and 256 SSD.

For $900 you can get very decent Laptop .

If you want to edit videos too, then you might look at stronger criterias.

Reactions: SonjaD

Accumulator

Apr 11, 2020
My wife has a HP laptop 350 gt and my sister also have an HP laptop and both have lots of problems with them cashing and screen quality and extremely slow, and have spoken to an it guy at a pc shop and he said that after 2 years his pc needs to be replaced. i have had only once had a laptop which was the sony vaio. excellent laptop yet a poor battery. lasted me 8 years before it was not working at all anymore

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
My wife has a HP laptop 350 gt and my sister also have an HP laptop and both have lots of problems with them cashing and screen quality and extremely slow, and have spoken to an it guy at a pc shop and he said that after 2 years his pc needs to be replaced. i have had only once had a laptop which was the sony vaio. excellent laptop yet a poor battery. lasted me 8 years before it was not working at all anymore

If I would have to buy again HP, I will go for envy , the best version, first laptop last me for 6 years and still works, and second for 2 years and happy with it. Anyway, depends how you treating it as well.

You might look for a MacBook too, but they are really expensive.

Reactions: Accumulator

Accumulator

Apr 11, 2020
If I would have to buy again HP, I will go for envy , the best version, first laptop last me for 6 years and still works, and second for 2 years and happy with it. Anyway, depends how you treating it as well.

You might look for a MacBook too, but they are really expensive.
is HP envy a gaming laptop?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
No, but if you want a Gaming laptop, highly recommend Alienware

But they aren't cheap at all

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
I have no good experience with gaming PCs...simply get a decent notebook with a good Intel ( avoid AMD- sorry) processor, enough RAM - I would even go for 16 ( I have only 8 ), and graphic performance ( Nvidia geforce), if possible; I use the HP Pavillion with Windows 10 and 64 bit, no problem with Photoshop...then invest in an external Monitor with good quality https://digital-photography-school.com/choose-right-monitor-photo-editing/ this article gives you an idea.. for laptop and affordable monitor you spend maximum 750 Euros not more ...but get yourself Colour Munki Display calibration, so you can calibrate your monitor. ( forgot the price for that).. cheers and good luck.

Reactions: Jack

Accumulator

Apr 11, 2020
I got the Lenovo Legion Core i5 9th Gen Clock speed 4.1ghz 4core 6gb graphics card 8gb ram with 128gb ssd and with 1tb hdd, will upgrade the ram and ssd in future , loaded photoshop and lightroom on ssd my other stuff will go on normal hdd and got a dell monitor 24'' with ips fhd

Reactions: Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.