Photo Editing Methods of Organizing Your Photographs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The topic opened by member is to talk about photo editing and post processing techniques. Give the most appropriate help and advice.

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Check the CMS website from our Deal page, I have migrated to their CMS and so far happy, easy to use and well organised. I don't usually keep raw files, I do delete them once I have edited images exported. Keeping them takes extra space on my laptop.
I will check that out, thank you. Regarding the raw files, oh yes...they do take up space. I have external hard drives that are plugged in to the USB ports on my laptop so the laptop is not used up on space. They are relatively inexpensive, and if the laptop crashes (and this happens, ask me how I know. LOL) I still have my photos accessible on any other computer.

Reactions: Jack

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
Hi Tina Boes Tina Boes ,

Well, I don't use any editing software to organise my images, however, I do organise them on my personal website. Once I have them edited and exported, I do create folders, to move them there. Obviously, dating them or naming, depending on where I've been or visited. Have you tried to open your own portfolio website, where you can organise the photos more intuitive?
I do have a website....kind of. LOL I have not been updating it for a couple of years. The Pandemic has put everything on the back burner, mostly because of being busy taking care of things relative to that and work. I'm going to try the portfolio thing, maybe within that website somehow. Right now, I just need to get everything separated and organized. I like to keep the raw files with the edited photos, in case I need to do additional editing on a different copy.
wait, WHAT?!?! do you really delete RAW files? and I don't mean when culling, do you delete keepers?!

• Grinning Face
Reactions: Tina Boes and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Check the CMS website from our Deal page, I have migrated to their CMS and so far happy, easy to use and well organised. I don't usually keep raw files, I do delete them once I have edited images exported. Keeping them takes extra space on my laptop.
I will check that out, thank you. Regarding the raw files, oh yes...they do take up space. I have external hard drives that are plugged in to the USB ports on my laptop so the laptop is not used up on space. They are relatively inexpensive, and if the laptop crashes (and this happens, ask me how I know. LOL) I still have my photos accessible on any other computer.
Check that, you can use the portfolio site for free. Did you think about uploading on a cloud website?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi Tina Boes Tina Boes ,

Well, I don't use any editing software to organise my images, however, I do organise them on my personal website. Once I have them edited and exported, I do create folders, to move them there. Obviously, dating them or naming, depending on where I've been or visited. Have you tried to open your own portfolio website, where you can organise the photos more intuitive?
I do have a website....kind of. LOL I have not been updating it for a couple of years. The Pandemic has put everything on the back burner, mostly because of being busy taking care of things relative to that and work. I'm going to try the portfolio thing, maybe within that website somehow. Right now, I just need to get everything separated and organized. I like to keep the raw files with the edited photos, in case I need to do additional editing on a different copy.

Yes, I do delete Raw files once I edit them. But I keep the edited once. Why?

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
Hi Tina Boes Tina Boes ,

because that's like designing a supercar and burning the blueprints once you build the first one.

I still have most of my film negatives and slides... they're only a couple hundreds and they require far more physical space than a hard drive.

Reactions: Tina Boes

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
[CQ='Jack, c: 3095, m: 1'][/CQ] because that's like designing a supercar and burning the blueprints once you build the first one.

I still have most of my film negatives and slides... they're only a couple hundreds and they require far more physical space than a hard drive.
OMG, I am so glad to read that someone else has negatives stored. I have boxes and boxes of slides too. LOL Bought one of those slide converters to make digital copies and they were awful. Money down the drain.
The thing about raw files, besides being able to make copies and do different things with a photo, is that they are your proof of originator. I have had to use raw files twice in the past year alone to prove I was the owner and originator of photos that were stolen and used on ads or websites without my permission. One of them was a photo of one of MY artworks that someone was getting paid by people to make for them based on my photo. She claimed it was her photo, and I proved it was not with that raw file uncropped and unedited. She was forced to take the photo down.

Reactions: kzurro

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
This is an ongoing challenge for may of us, I have folders set up on my HDD named by places, family, macro, published, WIPs, completed on hold, RAW, work files etc etc. I then have these folders in my favourites panel in adobe bridge where I can easily move them, copy them or do basic export / resize and such, with subfolders for years. I then have a couple of external HDD that I back up every so often, and another specific HDD where my Mac time capsule backs up every hour.
Bridge is great for me as I can batch rename images in a few seconds - I usually name them by <> year <> specific place, client, event, person, project <> number
I personally do it this way as I hate folders within folders within folders, and would much rather have all my 2021_Thailand_images in one folder - I can then assign keywords in Bridge to batches of images to make it even easier to search for specific or general images.
It all depends on your work flow how you get things set up but I have folders for RAW, WIPs, completed on hold & then when I am finished with an image I move to the final folder where it will stay and delete the historical copies in other folders.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Jack and Tina Boes

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
This is an ongoing challenge for may of us, I have folders set up on my HDD named by places, family, macro, published, WIPs, completed on hold, RAW, work files etc etc. I then have these folders in my favourites panel in adobe bridge where I can easily move them, copy them or do basic export / resize and such, with subfolders for years. I then have a couple of external HDD that I back up every so often, and another specific HDD where my Mac time capsule backs up every hour.
Bridge is great for me as I can batch rename images in a few seconds - I usually name them by <> year <> specific place, client, event, person, project <> number
I personally do it this way as I hate folders within folders within folders, and would much rather have all my 2021_Thailand_images in one folder - I can then assign keywords in Bridge to batches of images to make it even easier to search for specific or general images.
It all depends on your work flow how you get things set up but I have folders for RAW, WIPs, completed on hold & then when I am finished with an image I move to the final folder where it will stay and delete the historical copies in other folders.
Those are all great ideas. Just before I read your post I ordered another external drive, 6TB. I was thinking this would be my main drive for the photos and subjects I access most often. I have the monthly subscription for LR/PS, I'll look and see if Adobe bridge is included with that? I'm not a fan of using Cloud, but to be honest I haven't given it a full shot yet either. ;-)
Edit: Yep, it's included. I'm downloading it to check it out. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Smith and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Omg, you must have tons of images and raw files. Are you keeping raw files? As K kzurro was surprised that I delete them.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Those are all great ideas. Just before I read your post I ordered another external drive, 6TB. I was thinking this would be my main drive for the photos and subjects I access most often. I have the monthly subscription for LR/PS, I'll look and see if Adobe bridge is included with that? I'm not a fan of using Cloud, but to be honest I haven't given it a full shot yet either. ;-)
Edit: Yep, it's included. I'm downloading it to check it out. :)
You can check mega cn, they offer 50gb space for free on registration.

• Italian Face
Reactions: Tina Boes