Your opinion? Nosedive in a fantastic world

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
f/4.5,
1/500s
iso 200
90mm
Canon 1000D + Tamron 90mm
no tripod, no flash

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
Yohanna_D Yohanna_D Beautiful once again😍. Tell me one thing, do you compose, wait for the insect to "fall" into place or do you do it all at the moment? Great shot once again
Hi, thank you for your comment.
to answer your question: I don't know what you mean by "compose" = like photo montage? if so, no I never do that, I really don't know how to do that.

wait for the insect ? = hardly ever, it's rare; only in the occasions when I saw the insect and I scared it and it flew away; I try to follow it and see where it's sitting next and if it's the correct sport than I shoot, if not, I don't insist.

most of the times I just come across the insects, I try to see which angle is the right one and try to shoot from as many angles as possible until I am satisfied; if I am not happy with the outcome, then either I give up and look for another insect, or I will try again with other angles that I haven't tried previously; but there are rare occasions when I spend more than 10 minutes per insect; I tend to move on quite quickly. :D

I hope I answered your questions.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Yohanna_D Yohanna_D That does answer my question, you are composing on the run or "at the moment", impressive skill.

Allow me to explain a little better;

I learned a lot of my composition from street photography mainly. I'm sure there are more ways but in street photography there are 2 main ways or styles to compose and frame your shot; the first method and the one I use in this genre is to find an interesting spot where maybe light and shadow are playing or perhaps interesting tones and textures, frame/compose it and then wait until a person walks into that space and shoot. The other method is the "run and gun" street photographer which actively moves around looking for subjects at the right spot, the right time and shoots, they may even chase down an interesting character to get more shots or find a new angle, scenery, etc. As you can imagine the run and gun style is much more challenging.

In macro I use both of these styles, they can both work in the right conditions. I was interested in your approach hence the question. Thank you very much for your answers, lots of insights 🙏🙏🙏

Reactions: Yohanna_D

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
Chavezshutter Chavezshutter indeed I totally see what you mean by these 2 techniques; and when I do some street style photos I also adopt this type of method in order to shoot; but in macro there are moments when this technique does not function all the time; it depends on a lot of aspects;
However for the place where I shoot most of my insects, it's like a specific spot for me; where I know there are the insects that I am intrested in; so I know for sure I will find something to work with and get great results. I just know that because I know the spot really well - 8 years now, I know the behaviour of the insects, I know what time of the day is the best one, I know the light, I know the angles most of the time, I know the flora and how it grows, and behaves. Long story short, I am really used to that spot hence my photos that seem to be as impeccable as I possibly can.
Huge thanks for your shared experience. :)

Greg Greg78340 thank you so dearly for your feedback.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Yohanna_D Yohanna_D Wow, that is fantastic. You must know the area extremely well. Your results are outstanding. Yes macro is very unique, something which makes me enjoy it even more. Well done on your shot once again 😍

Reactions: Yohanna_D