Prints

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I was wondering, do you guys selling prints as well with your images ? If yes, do you have lots of clients or just few.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Not at all. I tried to sell photos via Shutterstock but it's really hard to sell pictures. Don't know how to do this. 0,25 Cent for a sold picture is not my goal.

Reactions: Jack

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I never sold pictures. I tried a website many years ago but didn't worked ...

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
Not at all. I tried to sell photos via Shutterstock but it's really hard to sell pictures. Don't know how to do this. 0,25 Cent for a sold picture is not my goal.

I tried shutterstock and Pond5, none of which worked. Pond5 seems to be geared more to video and I don't want to give up the rights my higher quality pictures for a few cents, so shuttersoc is out too.

Right now I'm trying Picfair. They allow you to set your own price adding a comission of 20%. You can opt into a license for use in ads which gives you a 10x multiplier on the price you set. All licenses are single use/project.

They also sell your pictures as prints on posters, canvas, mugs etc.

I haven't sold anything yet, which might be because I have somewhat high and cheeky prices and only market it through my Instagram (~30 followrs) but if someone actually wants to use them commercially I would like at least a little bit of compensation.

For prints to end consumer I have 0 experience yet. But I recently met the curator of a local art society, who asked me if I would be interested to show my photos in a possible future exhibition. I'll what comes from that, if I actually get invited. When I'm there why not offer some prints on demand. šŸ˜‰

Reactions: Jack and Greg

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
Oh it can be a great project to start an exhibition ! I don't have the level for now, I make photography for hoby. For now I prefere to upgrade my macro photography skills, then later, maybe I'll try to meet people for sharing and maybe, be interested about my skills.

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
Oh it can be a great project to start an exhibition ! I don't have the level for now, I make photography for hoby. For now I prefere to upgrade my macro photography skills, then later, maybe I'll try to meet people for sharing and maybe, be interested about my skills.

I'm also of the opinion that I don't have the level yet, but this art society is very small and welcoming. They only have a few members, some pros, some amateurs, but it seems they are happy to showcase everyone. I actually met them through a friend taking part in an exhibition. There where 4 people showcasing their stuff, one was a pro doing art photography, the other two were more about showing special moments they captured without the goal of ectreme quality, while my friend is more of a storyteller. He presented a lot of travel photography in collages and told a story about every collage.

Reactions: Greg and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

I read some news an other day regarding shutterstock, the photographer has sold his image for 0.25$ on there, and the company who purchased his photo, made some good money from it because it was Christmas photo, and the photographer was really upset.

Unfortunately, these stock websites are focused again on quality, and as there are a lot of photographers, you can be surprised for how low you will sell your images. I tried once as well, but wonā€™t sell my images anymore on stock website, for me my images are worth more.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
But I recently met the curator of a local art society, who asked me if I would be interested to show my photos in a possible future exhibition. I'll what comes from that, if I actually get invited. When I'm there why not offer some prints on demand. šŸ˜‰

You could do that for free, you never know from where some luck is coming.

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
You could do that for free, you never know from where some luck is coming.

I think you misunderstood me. If they actually want me to show my photos I'll do that for free, no questions asked. I would actually be really happy and amazed to do it. Prints on demand I meant for visitors. Just hang a list of the pictures shown where people can write down their contacts and what they would like, canvas/paper type etc. Then call them and ask if they actually want it, give them a price estimate, then print and deliver. :cool:

Reactions: Jack