Your opinion? The Grasshopper

The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Fujifilm XT1
Fujinon 60mm
Macro extension tube MCEX16
ISO 320
F5.6
1/125s
No flash

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Hi! Hows life?
This is one of the photos that I took during my morning walk. I spent 2 hours today until I got a call from my children's school informed me that my son fell sick again and had to fetch him.
Anyway, the grasshopper was quite calm, it didn't move a bit when I photographed it. If only all insects as calm as this grasshopper .
Hope you like it.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Nice shot lovitazoe

Lovely greens, good bokeh, tight framing but everything is in there. Focus looks good on the grasshopper's body but I am not sure if the eye is sharp, its close. I see you are working closer with those extension tubes, very neat. Nice work!

Reactions: lovitazoe

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
It's not sharp around the eyes. Feel a bit overexposed too. Can I blame it to the Godox flash that I attach on my camera even though I didn't use it for this photo? It's so heavy . I still can not get used to it.
Don't you think it's a bit overexposed too?

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
To my eyes it doesn't look overexposed. I would add that I think you are heading into flash territory with these closer shots. Expect a steep learning curve with a flash, at first you will not like it and may not want to use it but persevere with it and you may end up asking yourself "why didnt I get into this sooner?". I did when I got the hang of the flash game.

I have strong opinions about flash, particularly in close up work, I wrote a thread about it a while back, since then I do a lot more natural light macro myself and you would think I may have changed my mind about how important a flash is BUT - and you could say I am stubborn about this - I double down on my views on it. It is all but a MUST to have flash in most macro scenarios but not all, but thats just my point of view. Show us some of your flash macro lovitazoe , turn that thing on if youre gonna carry it at least

Last edited:

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
You've read my mind!
But I will learn about it.
I will post some of my flash macro photos soon. Please help me how to improve later .

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
You've read my mind!
But I will learn about it.
I will post some of my flash macro photos soon. Please help me how to improve later .
No worries, I will see where you are at when I see your flash shots, in the meantime if you have not looked already diffusion is a must

Reactions: lovitazoe
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…