What is your preferred editing software?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
I always used Affinity Photo for all of my workflow, from raw development to finished image. But after getting deeper into editing I found the raw developer to be lacking. For me personally it is very annoying, that I cannot save any edits in the raw development stage and always have to develop them first which irreversibly leads you to the editing and retouching stage. So having multiple forks of the same file or just coming back and changing something on the raw is impossible with the software. I also found the raw tools somewhat lacking. Some you just can't use on layers but only on the base picture (e.g. clarity), which makes it impossible to apply them on specific details.

Because of this I now switched to Capture One Pro 20 for raw editing and use Affinity exclusively for retouching and further edits not possible in the raw process.

I found a very convenient way to roundtrip my pictures between the softwares by creating a .tif in Capture One and handing it over to Affinity (this can be done automatically). In Affinity I can then do edits on layers in the non developer persona, which I can save as a layered .tif, which I then can send back to Capture One and treat like a raw file.

So: Affinity for Retouching and more complex effects, Capture One for raw development.

I don't use anything Adobe related because I'm not a fan of the subscription model and the tools I use do everything I need. I still can see the merits of their software though.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
How is affinity software Baenki Baenki ? I heard about it, never tried as I’m not really familiar with it? Regarding adobe, I do agree with you, they are a bit overpriced .

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I use mosly Lightroom for editing and some Photoshop work now and then. I would give up Lightroom in a heartbeat for any of the other alternatives but Photoshop never :LOL:

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I use only Lightroom becase I find it good and easy. I don't know Affinity and capture one, i will see that

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I'm trying now Capture one, it's very good, I like it !!! It's like LR but it looks faster. Thx for the tips !!! I must try affinity too now