Begginer What tips would you give to new starters?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Agree about second hand.

Set a budget, then find the widest range zoom you can - 18-135, 28-200 etc, then what's left can get you a cheap body to go with it.
If this is your first venture into DSLR then you don't know what's really going to catch your interest, so a lens that'll do landscapes, portraits, flowers, birds in the garden, your dog etc is what you need (and you can add an extension tube for macro rather than spend a fortune on a proper macro lens if you need).
As far as the camera goes, they pretty much all do P, Av, Tv and M and that's plenty to get you going and learning about photography, the exposure triangle and the bits posted above. You don't need 10fps or the ability to AF track a Peregrine in flight, yet.

Once you learn the basics and have a better idea what you want to focus on, upgrade the lens and/or body to meet your newly discovered needs
That's my opinion as well. And that's why I prefer buying new lens instead of new body camera. Honestly, no need a high end body, but want to achieve high end quality images, which the only way to achieve that is through the lens in my opinion.

Reactions: TMG1961

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Agree about second hand.

Set a budget, then find the widest range zoom you can - 18-135, 28-200 etc, then what's left can get you a cheap body to go with it.
If this is your first venture into DSLR then you don't know what's really going to catch your interest, so a lens that'll do landscapes, portraits, flowers, birds in the garden, your dog etc is what you need (and you can add an extension tube for macro rather than spend a fortune on a proper macro lens if you need).
As far as the camera goes, they pretty much all do P, Av, Tv and M and that's plenty to get you going and learning about photography, the exposure triangle and the bits posted above. You don't need 10fps or the ability to AF track a Peregrine in flight, yet.

Once you learn the basics and have a better idea what you want to focus on, upgrade the lens and/or body to meet your newly discovered needs
Yes the 70-200 L II is a beast. Not sure what's the difference between MK2 and MK3 new one. But love my 70-200, especially for portraits, the 100 macro L does great portraits as well, so not complaining much.

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021
Agree about second hand.

Mark3 has new coatings which gives improved contrast but there's not much difference at all. I think they planned a proper redesign then stopped halfway through and moved to the RF version instead

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Agree about second hand.

Probably they took the MK2 , added new line , and made them MK3 with extra hundreds of pounds on top :D

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I won't recommend my other "me" to start with the auto mode. I would explain myself the basics of exposure, ISO, shutter speed and aperture and give myself examples what effect each parameter has on a picture. I mean it's no sorcery but it needs some practice, patient and effort.

But it depends if you've someone by your side or if you've to learn it all alone. In the latter situation I would try to start with the auto mode (which I've done years ago).

I would really love to explain someone the basics of photography if I would notice that he or she really wants to learn it.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I won't recommend my other "me" to start with the auto mode. I would explain myself the basics of exposure, ISO, shutter speed and aperture and give myself examples what effect each parameter has on a picture. I mean it's no sorcery but it needs some practice, patient and effort.

But it depends if you've someone by your side or if you've to learn it all alone. In the latter situation I would try to start with the auto mode (which I've done years ago).

I would really love to explain someone the basics of photography if I would notice that he or she really wants to learn it.
Oh yes, I have started on auto mode as well, I believe as everyone. Then I tried to learn the basis of these 3 pillars in photography, ISO, shutter speed and aperture. I've learnt that they all connected to each other and if you adjust one of them, you have to check rest of them.

Reactions: Suze26

Suze26

Jul 20, 2021
Oh yes, I have started on auto mode as well, I believe as everyone. Then I tried to learn the basis of these 3 pillars in photography, ISO, shutter speed and aperture. I've learnt that they all connected to each other and if you adjust one of them, you have to check rest of them.
Hi there Jack I have just joined the group and like yourself I am a novice but looking forward to learn more exciting things to come. Have been taking pics on manual mode, however, I received my macro lens last weekend and need to understand the settings I guess for this. I have taken a few pics on auto mode.

Suze26

Jul 20, 2021
Hi everyone I am new here - looking forward to interacting with you all and learning as well as having fun. Only taken few pics so far with Macro lens as it is new to me. I shall post them here and any feedback welcome as I did take them on auto mode until I explore setting more

Attachments

• IMG_256a..jpg
    IMG_256a..jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2610AA.JPG
    IMG_2610AA.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2590CCCjpg.jpg
    IMG_2590CCCjpg.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 2

Architect79

Jul 19, 2021

I agree. Auto settings decided by camera itself will not teach you the logic behind it. You should learn when to use aperture, shutter speed and ISO, then experience them. Do not hesitate to make mistakes that teach a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TMG1961

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020

as everyone? damn, I feel old, my first camera didn't have any automatism. it was a Zenit 12, it has more things in common with a tank than with a modern camera :p

• Haha