Want critique Baby steps with a macro lens

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Canon EOS 2000D
1/400 sec. f/5.6 105mm
ISO: 200

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Salut John LB John LB , quite nice picture, if just jypu du better adjustment, less higlights more contrast, rduce noice and mabe play a little with saturation.., maybe cropping and more sharpness..
Better image processing and would be fine ;)
Do you shoot in RAW ?

Reactions: John LB

John LB

Apr 19, 2020
Salut John LB John LB , quite nice picture, if just jypu du better adjustment, less higlights more contrast, rduce noice and mabe play a little with saturation.., maybe cropping and more sharpness..
Better image processing and would be fine ;)
Do you shoot in RAW ?
Hello Natalia, thanks for the feedback :) Yes I do shoot in raw (and jpeg as well) and this was just cropped, I'm not yet much into editing other than cropping or so, I usually prefer the photo to be good enough without further actions.
I'll definitely keep your recommendations in mind for the next shooting session, the flowers aren't going anywhere for a while and they smell delicious so I can stay around them for a long time

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Hello Natalia, thanks for the feedback :) Yes I do shoot in raw (and jpeg as well) and this was just cropped, I'm not yet much into editing other than cropping or so, I usually prefer the photo to be good enough without further actions.
I'll definitely keep your recommendations in mind for the next shooting session, the flowers aren't going anywhere for a while and they smell delicious so I can stay around them for a long time

Editing can do magic too John LB John LB 😉. You can send as the RAW form the picture, I can show you with this picture 😉. In the evening or tomorrow I can do it 😇😉

Reactions: John LB

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Not bad for the first shot John LB John LB. Even if there's some space for improvements.
Can you use a different perspective to get a more pleasant background? Apart from that try to use f/8 or f/10 if the shutter speed is still above 1/160s (or use a tripod). Try to ensure, that the focus is set to the pollen stamp. Maybe use the zoom function from your camera if you are not sure if the camera set the focus correctly.

I think you've bought the 105mm lens from Sigma, haven't you? I've read a lot of good recommendations about it, but I would buy the 100mm lens from Canon because of the internal zoom. I wouldn't buy a macro lens where the tubes comes out of the lens. Even it's more expensive.

Reactions: Jack and John LB

John LB

Apr 19, 2020
Not bad for the first shot John LB John LB. Even if there's some space for improvements.
Can you use a different perspective to get a more pleasant background? Apart from that try to use f/8 or f/10 if the shutter speed is still above 1/160s (or use a tripod). Try to ensure, that the focus is set to the pollen stamp. Maybe use the zoom function from your camera if you are not sure if the camera set the focus correctly.

I think you've bought the 105mm lens from Sigma, haven't you? I've read a lot of good recommendations about it, but I would buy the 100mm lens from Canon because of the internal zoom. I wouldn't buy a macro lens where the tubes comes out of the lens. Even it's more expensive.
You are spot on Helix, I have indeed purchased the sigma 105mm F2.8 lens
It seems to have 3 settings to chose from besides the AF and IS, and I'm not sure what they are about. Any ideas on how to best use them for flower photos?

Reactions: Jack and Karl