Want critique Brachyscome Daisy

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
DMC-G81
f2.8 ISO200 1/15
60mm
Stack of 36 photos

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
So today I tried to use the focus bracketing of my camera. The following is a stack of 36 pictures of a Brachyscome daisy edited in Capture One and stacked and retouched in Affinity Photo. This is pretty much the first stack I've done where the object is reasonably sharp from front to back.

Setup was a black t-shirt as background and a white LED panel as light source.

Stack 1.jpg

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
Thank you. For the colors I found a neat trick which makes them more pleasing. I simplified them by selecting the purplish tones in the petals and moving them more into the magenta range, while moving the magentas slightly towards purple. Same with the yellows and oranges.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
The stack looks really good for the first try. Some minor layer errors are visible but that's doesn't have an impact to the quality.

1600113502026.png 1600113532966.png

Give it a try to change the level a bit to get a black background and check the dodge & burn technique to get a more plastic 3D look by increasing partly the shadows or the highlights.

Reactions: Jack and Baenki

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
Helix_2648 Helix_2648 Thank you for the critique. I tried to paint out the halos, seems like I missed a few spots. The front petal covering the yellow part is actually almost completely layered manually because Affinity had huge problems stacking it.

Dodging and burning I did in the center but not on the petals. How do you do it? I always paint grayscale on a new layer and use soft light blending and opacity to get it to my liking. What method would you recommend?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello Baenki Baenki , there is nothing wrong with photo as long is not zoomed in. But as Helix_2648 Helix_2648 did, you can find some small spots , but as he stated it won’t affect the photo quality , as human eye won’t spot them. I really like the black background which you managed to achieve. I also like the balance between colours. ;)

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Helix_2648 Helix_2648 Thank you for the critique. I tried to paint out the halos, seems like I missed a few spots. The front petal covering the yellow part is actually almost completely layered manually because Affinity had huge problems stacking it.

Dodging and burning I did in the center but not on the petals. How do you do it? I always paint grayscale on a new layer and use soft light blending and opacity to get it to my liking. What method would you recommend?
Hi Baenki Baenki,

I made a tutoriual for this which you can find here:

You can combine it with this tutorial:

Create a mask with mid shadows or dark shadows for the dodge & burn layer. Give it a try.

By the way.. have you tried Zerene to stack the pictures? Or have a look to Helicon Focus Pro. I use it as well with great results.

• Love
Reactions: Baenki