Your opinion? Discerning Perception

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Nikon D610
Helios 81N 50mm f/2.0
s 1/2000
f/2.0
iso 100
+2 Close Up Filter

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello my friends!

My intention is to create abstract images. An addition of a bug or an insect would add a more realistic subject in the frame caughting the attention away from the initial thought and intention.

What I like in abstract photography is what abstract states. Something abstract. An actor or another object additionaly on the leaf (that itself is the the main subject) would give a completely diferent composition and theme from the above photo.

Bugs or insects are not my cup of tea. It something that does not interests me.

To give an example on my above words.
I will add to pictures.
Both of them are photos of thin leaves. One will be only leaves in an abstract composition and another one will be similar with an insect.

You will notice that eventhough the photos are quite similar the one with the insect is far to be said as an abstract shot. The insect adds and states aesthetically realistic elements that cannot any longer be considered as an abstract composition. It would require a completely different approach (composition wise) with the bug in the photo, which I haven't tried and practice to be able to produce yet.

View attachment 15202
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jmjzbx]View attachment 15203

I do agree with you, adding an other subject into the frame will make it interesting however this is not an abstract . However, the second one, is way more closer to an abstract photo then first one ;) . And I love these flares and bokeh :)

Attachments

• 50055335347_cc2a072279_c.jpg
    50055335347_cc2a072279_c.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 50113067927_b66e08008c_c.jpg
    50113067927_b66e08008c_c.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: panos_adgr

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
Now when I see these 2 photos they are different and the abstract vision is lot more researched than the first one, because of the bubbled bokeh and the colors are well handled;
the one with the dragonfly is different because indeed it looks more realistic than the other one; however the second image is not extremely abstract as it still shows real sharp shapes like a blade of grass. But these 2 compositions speak to me lot more than the first one - it's just a matter of taste ;)

Reactions: panos_adgr and Jack

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
Now when I see these 2 photos they are different and the abstract vision is lot more researched than the first one, because of the bubbled bokeh and the colors are well handled;
the one with the dragonfly is different because indeed it looks more realistic than the other one; however the second image is not extremely abstract as it still shows real sharp shapes like a blade of grass. But these 2 compositions speak to me lot more than the first one - it's just a matter of taste ;)

Yes Yohanna!
You are right. It is not an absolutely abstract image the 2nd one. But I wanted to be as fare as I could in the comparison choosing an as similar image as possible.

I love close up and macro but in another way.... I was never interested in 'purist' photography as modern photographers call it. I'm not interest in reproducing reality as it is because in photography I like to represent images that I see with the feelings that I have or the notion of things as I percieve them with my feelings.

When I look at something I see beyond the realistic image that is in front of me and with photography I try to reproduce it. When I look at things I see shapes, colours, things that I feel and photography is my expression. There are things that do not work expressionistic in my mind and in my photos.

Like i.e. people or in macro photography bugs or insects.
Although I do not like them I enjoy and admire other people works, like yours and of many other friends here! But i wouldn't shoot something with bugs or insects.

The only insect I would like to photograph are butterflies!
I haven't tried it yet but I might do it.

I'm always very selective with flora. In example I'm not intereste in photographing roses or other flowers. I prefer leaves, tiny flowers and unusual flora. I would also love to do mushroom pnotography at some point.

Reactions: Yohanna_D

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
I do agree with you, adding an other subject into the frame will make it interesting however this is not an abstract . However, the second one, is way more closer to an abstract photo then first one ;) . And I love these flares and bokeh :)

Hello Jack.
You understand my point well.
As about the flares and bokeh, I do love them a lot and they 'add' to the scene. This is why I'm stacked with my helios 81n lens!
My dream is buyng a trioplan lens with which I believe that I would do beautiful things but they ary bloody expensive. I have spent a lot of money until now for my cameras and it's time to go forward and expand my lens gear.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
The second picture looks really much more pleasant than the first one. The green color, the bokeh and especially the shadow from the rear grass blade on the one in the front makes this composition so speacial!

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
panos_adgr panos_adgr I totally agree with you and I totally see what you mean by photography as form of art and not necessarily representing the real world;
through my shots I never look for a real up close insect to show its realistic features; on the contrary, what I am looking for is telling a story, making it a piece of art; that's why i have so few photos of close ups insects purely macro that are descriptive;
Now don't get me wrong: a pure magnifying macro is gorgeous especially when it's well done, like ZAMIR PENA ZAMIR PENA does; but it's still not my style and it does not correspond to my approach on macro photography.
So yes, I totally understand your vision on photography and I am 100% behind your outlook. :)

panos_adgr

1 2
Apr 23, 2020
panos_adgr panos_adgr I totally agree with you and I totally see what you mean by photography as form of art and not necessarily representing the real world;
through my shots I never look for a real up close insect to show its realistic features; on the contrary, what I am looking for is telling a story, making it a piece of art; that's why i have so few photos of close ups insects purely macro that are descriptive;
Now don't get me wrong: a pure magnifying macro is gorgeous especially when it's well done, like ZAMIR PENA ZAMIR PENA does; but it's still not my style and it does not correspond to my approach on macro photography.
So yes, I totally understand your vision on photography and I am 100% behind your outlook. :)

Dear Yohanna

I would never get you wrong.
Photography and expression through art is something personal and has to do with psycosynthesis, personal aesthetics, beliefs and expression of its creator! The problem is that people most of the times cannot understand it. In the contrary here through discussions, with you and many other members, I can discuss with joy.

Reactions: Yohanna_D

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Yes indeed. We've a great mix of all kind pf photographs with one common passion... macro photography. Even if it's sometimes more proxy than macro photography. But we can show our pictures and explain our ideas behind it and we know that we will get fair criticism a sometimes good tips & tricks. That's more than FB! Even if we're all looking for recognition but in a different way. We want to have an active feedback and not just to collect stupid likes or comments like "Well done...".