Photography Have you ever dropped your lens?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I have dropped the whole camera bag when I got it out of my car. Nothing happened.
I have dropped a kit lens, from a table height. Nothing happened.
I have gotten glitter on my zoom lens. (don't ask me how, don't ask me why) Nothing happened.

Worst case scenario is that the internal elements of the lens move and the lens becomes uncalibrated.
Worst worst case scenario is that the front element gets broken, but you could still use the lens with an artistic effect.
That's funny. Never happened to me something like this šŸ˜…

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I have dropped my 60mm macro on a tour through the forest. It has now a scratch but luckily it's works fine.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I have dropped my 60mm macro on a tour through the forest. It has now a scratch but luckily it's works fine.
i don't mind having a small scratch on lens, as long as glass is in mint condition.

Stra1ght_F_student

May 14, 2021
I was taking photos of the sunset on the last day of vacation, put camera on the roof of the car to take few shots with the phone, then sat in the car and drove away. The sound of camera hitting the back of the car and road is something I will never forget. I manage to save memory card though, so pictures were saved, but camera was beyond repair.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Helix_2648 and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I was taking photos of the sunset on the last day of vacation, put camera on the roof of the car to take few shots with the phone, then sat in the car and drove away. The sound of camera hitting the back of the car and road is something I will never forget. I manage to save memory card though, so pictures were saved, but camera was beyond repair.
Omg, I can imagine that . How expensive was the camera ?

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Oh my god! What a disaster! I'm sorry that you crashed your camera. Was it a DSLR with a separate lens? Or a compact camera?

Stra1ght_F_student

May 14, 2021
Well, it was a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. The only good thing that came out of it was that I got a Fuji X-T3 for my birthday after 2 months :)

MikeB

May 16, 2021
Not so much "dropped" but:
  1. I fell off my bike once on a slippery little bridge with a rough gravel surface. Had the K-5 IIs with the Sigma 85mm/f1.4 (dubbed "the Beast" in my house as it is such an enormous piece of glass) around my neck. I hit the gravel shoulder-first after which the camera swung around and the front of the lens hit with a thud. Luckily I ALWAYS keep lens-hoods on for protection (as opposed to flimsy UV filters). Couple of scratches on the hood but the lens and the camera were fine. Likely, the rather large hood on the Sigma acted as a shock-absorber by deforming in an elastic way before springing back.
  2. Tried to do a night-shot of the moon in my own back-garden with the 55-300mm. Forgot that the stairs had 5 steps, not 4 while walking with my head in my neck and camera at eye-level, and went on a gracious belly-flop on the pavement stones in the garden, KP hitting bottom corner first while I tried to hold it off the ground. KP: few scratches on the black paint. Me: torn ligament in my ankle.

• Haha