Image stacking

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
I think that in this instance as the plane of focus on the hoverfly is parallel to the camera sensor it is in focus so stacking would not improve the image.
so as a thumb rule..when the subject is not parallel to the sensor or else too big for the sensor, stacking is a powerful tool...am i correct?

Reactions: Jack
D

Deleted member 250

so as a thumb rule..when the subject is not parallel to the sensor or else too big for the sensor, stacking is a powerful tool...am i correct?
Theres a bit more to it Shan, It all depends on the dof. If you can get the subject in focus by using a small aperture then OK but if the aperture used will not give you the required dof then stacking may be the way to go.
An example would be if you tried to capture the same insect close up and from the front. The depth of field even at say f32 would probably only give you a few millimetres in focus so here focus stacking would enable you to get the whole of the insect in focus.

Reactions: Shan and Jack
D

Deleted member 250

To expand a bit, with focus stacking you take a lot of images with a slightly different focus point and then in software blend these images together.

Reactions: Shan and Jack

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
To expand a bit, with focus stacking you take a lot of images with a slightly different focus point and then in software blend these images together.
i totally agree with you and your explanation. however my point is that focus stacking is a modification, and must be mentioned/treated as such. even for competitions stacked and single shot photographs should be categorized separately.

Reactions: Jack