Your opinion? Ixora - West Indian Jasmine

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EXIF
f32, 1/320, d7200 paired with tammy90mm non vc handheld, off body external speedlite handheld.

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
Ixora is a genus of flowering plants in the family Rubiaceae. It is the only genus in the tribe Ixoreae. It consists of tropical evergreen trees and shrubs and holds around 562 species. Though native to the tropical and subtropical areas throughout the world, its centre of diversity is in Tropical Asia. (Wiki)

View attachment 14165

Attachments

• ixora-200531-shan-3242.md.jpg
    ixora-200531-shan-3242.md.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
D

Deleted member 250

Lovely colours and detail on the stamens Shan.
A question if I may, Why are all your images shot at f32?

Reactions: Karl

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
Lovely colours and detail on the stamens Shan.
A question if I may, Why are all your images shot at f32?
because i never stack :) to get the most of the dof in d7200 i have found that at 32 there is minimum lens distortion. Sometimes i go upto 36 if there is more dof th at i need to capture but no further....

D

Deleted member 250

Shan Shan I shoot with a Nikon D7000 and rerely exceed f22 (usualy f16).
Most lenses have a "sweet spot" at about 2-3 stops from wide open and at about a stop or two beyond that image quality starts to degrade due to optical diffraction within the lens.
So given, say a maximum aperture of 2.8 maximum sharpness (not dof) probably occyrs at about f8 or so and starts to degrade due to diffraction at about f 16 or so.
The attached image was shot at f16 DSC_3460.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Karl and Helix_2648
D

Deleted member 250

Tell me honestly ...do you see distortion at f32?

View attachment 14169
No but I am talking about definition and sharpness. (Distortion is a different area altogether) it will be apparent in other images with different lighting conditions. In todays optics diffraction is less obvious but it exists.
Also by always using f32 or f36 you are limiting yourself to slow shutter speeds or to using flash.
I only wanted to share some information regarding lens diffraction which is an optical law that exists in almost all lenses.

Attachments

• common-albatross---Shan---Anejari---15i20-8036.md.jpg
    common-albatross---Shan---Anejari---15i20-8036.md.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Karl and Shan
D

Deleted member 310

Shan Shan
the f corresponds to the depth of field which differs according to how far you photograph the subject. The closer you are to the subject, the higher the depth of field (depending on the subject) and the more you shoot from afar you will decrease the depth of field. the depth of field influences the bokeh of the photo, the wisest is to use the button test depth of field on your device, if you have one

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
@Christophe Berche this is a really good explanation about the lens distortion.
That's the reason why most lenses have the best sharpness at +- f/8.0.

1590947391476.png

This upper diagram from Traumflieger.de (just as an example) shows this very well. You'll get the best results for this lens at a focal length of 50mm and an aperture of f/8.0. The higher the lines the sharper the picture. f/16.0 at 24mm is much worser than at f/5.6

D

Deleted member 250

Shan Shan
the f corresponds to the depth of field which differs according to how far you photograph the subject. The closer you are to the subject, the higher the depth of field (depending on the subject) and the more you shoot from afar you will decrease the depth of field. the depth of field influences the bokeh of the photo, the wisest is to use the button test depth of field on your device, if you have one
Are you sure this is the correct way around @Christophe Berche ?

Status
Not open for further replies.