Photography Plans for buying a lens?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

eliasfta

Dec 4, 2020
View attachment 11528
those settings look pretty good. Using another rule of thumb - Looney 11, your ISO for that speed should be 500 for a decent moon exposure shot. That doesnt sound too bad but f/11, 1/250 sec and ISO 250 sounds a bit better, you'll get a chance to experiment and see what works for you. Shooting the moon isnt too hard, you can even handhold something as long as 600mm to take a shot and get away with it. My brother eliasfta eliasfta shot the moon last week on a 200-600 lens, lets see if we can get him to post his shot here
Here you go, that's uncropped on Sony 200-600mm on A6400 aps-c (300-900mm).
Yeah seems ok to me but I'm not the most experienced, here is a shot from last night at 600mm, one uncropped and then cropped:

View attachment 11579View attachment 11580

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
View attachment 11528
those settings look pretty good. Using another rule of thumb - Looney 11, your ISO for that speed should be 500 for a decent moon exposure shot. That doesnt sound too bad but f/11, 1/250 sec and ISO 250 sounds a bit better, you'll get a chance to experiment and see what works for you. Shooting the moon isnt too hard, you can even handhold something as long as 600mm to take a shot and get away with it. My brother eliasfta eliasfta shot the moon last week on a 200-600 lens, lets see if we can get him to post his shot here
Here you go, that's uncropped on Sony 200-600mm on A6400 aps-c (300-900mm).
I think it's better to get a telescope with convertor to the camera to get good images and quality of moon. 🤔

subbu

Dec 24, 2020
Frantically looking for Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 AFD lens. This part of the world, I don't get them used. This year target to buy this lens. 2 months back ended up buying a used sigma 180mm f3.5 EX lens, it's good functionally but appearance wise it's bad since marks of heavy usage.. i was able to click some good pics with it. Now I am even more enthu to buy the Nikkor 200mm, like the compression and working distance...

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Frantically looking for Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 AFD lens. This part of the world, I don't get them used. This year target to buy this lens. 2 months back ended up buying a used sigma 180mm f3.5 EX lens, it's good functionally but appearance wise it's bad since marks of heavy usage.. i was able to click some good pics with it. Now I am even more enthu to buy the Nikkor 200mm, like the compression and working distance...
Personally i wouldn't even think to get a second hand lenses as not all of them can be in a good condition.

Raymonidas

Feb 13, 2021
I waited a few years for a nice used one. Almost as new. Never had a sharper lens then this. I use it on my Olympus and have a huge working distance. The two flies on my facebook page are photographed with this lens on the Oly. 34cm from the frontlens.....

subbu

Dec 24, 2020
But Jack Jack, there are no options now in "Telemacros" for Nikon shooters. I see that there is one in IRIX 150mm but i need something between 180mm to 200mm. so no other option but to buy "Used". Recently i bought the sigma 180mm locally after a thorough check of the lens. Not all used lenses are bad. I had also bought few Helios-44 lenses from Russia (ebay) recently and yet to try them for macro (flower) shots.. :)

subbu

Dec 24, 2020
I waited a few years for a nice used one. Almost as new. Never had a sharper lens then this. I use it on my Olympus and have a huge working distance. The two flies on my facebook page are photographed with this lens on the Oly. 34cm from the frontlens.....
good for you.. not getting any used "telemacro" lenses here in India :(

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
And how the Russian lenses permorms? In terms of quality.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
You can share your images on our forum as well.

subbu

Dec 24, 2020
yet to try them, bought it after i saw many artistic flower pics in FB.. Esp Helios44-2 is famous for swirl bokeh, not sure whether i will be able to reproduce the swirls by adding a tube for closer focus. These lenses are not very sharper but will create a dreamy effect due to the bokeh. May be little learning curve is required to use them artistically.. There is been a huge demand now a days for vintage lenses since mirrorless cameras are flooding the market. Helios used to be around 30-40 USD but now i picked it up around 100 USD including shipping..