Begginer What tips would you give to new starters?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I won't recommend my other "me" to start with the auto mode. I would explain myself the basics of exposure, ISO, shutter speed and aperture and give myself examples what effect each parameter has on a picture. I mean it's no sorcery but it needs some practice, patient and effort.

But it depends if you've someone by your side or if you've to learn it all alone. In the latter situation I would try to start with the auto mode (which I've done years ago).

I would really love to explain someone the basics of photography if I would notice that he or she really wants to learn it.
How you learn with a camera without auto mode ?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Oh yes, I have started on auto mode as well, I believe as everyone. Then I tried to learn the basis of these 3 pillars in photography, ISO, shutter speed and aperture. I've learnt that they all connected to each other and if you adjust one of them, you have to check rest of them.
Hi there Jack I have just joined the group and like yourself I am a novice but looking forward to learn more exciting things to come. Have been taking pics on manual mode, however, I received my macro lens last weekend and need to understand the settings I guess for this. I have taken a few pics on auto mode.
What lens have you received @Suze26 ?

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I won't recommend my other "me" to start with the auto mode. I would explain myself the basics of exposure, ISO, shutter speed and aperture and give myself examples what effect each parameter has on a picture. I mean it's no sorcery but it needs some practice, patient and effort.

But it depends if you've someone by your side or if you've to learn it all alone. In the latter situation I would try to start with the auto mode (which I've done years ago).

I would really love to explain someone the basics of photography if I would notice that he or she really wants to learn it.
how do you learn with a camera WITH auto mode?

I think I should clarify something. a camera without auto mode does not mean that it doesn't have a light meter. the Zenit 12 had a light meter, there was sort of a gauge inside the viewfinder that if it pointed up, there was too much light, if it pointed down, there was not enough light, so one had to try to set the needle in the center.

I didn't learn much anyway until I got a book (you all are lucky with St. Google and St. Youtube :LOL: ). the title would be something like "Photography step by step", by Michael Langford. after reading part of that book I decided to study photography in high school.

edit: another big help of the digital era: EXIF data. in the film days you had to keep a written record of the settings used and that was a PITA.

Reactions: Jack and Tina Boes

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021

Kzurro....OMG, I remember those times so well. I was horrible at documenting my settings and circumstances. Especially when manipulating the photos in the darkroom. ;-) They do actually have some courses in colleges that use completely manual cameras to get the students to understand apertures, shutter speeds, and all of that stuff the cameras do automatically these days with the digital.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

When I first bough the camera I use to take pictures all the time in auto mode, then I started to get into it more serious and did some researches on YouTube , Google, I've learnt about ISO, Aperture and shutter speed. After that, I use to check the photo which have been taken in auto mode and tried to achieve same results in manual mode :D

And yes, god bless YouTube for all these free tutorials :D , I don't think nowadays you need to study photography at school at all.