Laowa lenses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

NotmeyouFOOL

Nov 3, 2020
Is that related to laowa lenses? I don't have one yet. I'm using my Canon 100mm L f2.8 (haven't touched for a while). And so far the auto focus works OK. I don't know how laowa works, I heard that they are manual lenses.
All Loawa lens are manual. Auto focus will lock in the focus from what ever distance you are from the subject. Lets say an dragon fly for example. You auto focus on the eye's, the camera locks that focus and then you slightly sway backwards just before the picture is taken. The eye's may not be in focus anymore. My Sony 90mm has auto focus and I turn that off sometimes because I can't hold my arms of body steady.

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I used manual focus with my 105 sigma 2.8 macro, but many picture were not clear ... Since I use auto focus, my picture are clear :p I really think it depend of how we take pictures, and need some training on manual

Reactions: NotmeyouFOOL

Bihari

Jul 27, 2020
I had a manual 2:1 Oshiro (cheap version of Laowa ) the first couple of days are hard but now I just shoot manual even with my 90mm Tamron . I only use AF for portraits.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
All Loawa lens are manual. Auto focus will lock in the focus from what ever distance you are from the subject. Lets say an dragon fly for example. You auto focus on the eye's, the camera locks that focus and then you slightly sway backwards just before the picture is taken. The eye's may not be in focus anymore. My Sony 90mm has auto focus and I turn that off sometimes because I can't hold my arms of body steady.

I usually shoot in auto focus, unless shooting small in house objects such as rings, earrings, then I switch to manual focus.
I will be ordering the Laowa 50mm f / 2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO for my Olympus next month.
Nice for the little creatures that I photograph.

Can't wait for your results Ron Westbroek Ron Westbroek . Their lenses are bit expensive as well.

I had a manual 2:1 Oshiro (cheap version of Laowa ) the first couple of days are hard but now I just shoot manual even with my 90mm Tamron . I only use AF for portraits.

You can attach Raynox to get closer to the subject?

Bihari

Jul 27, 2020
Jack Jack Yes I am planning to get one for my Tamron since I sold the Oshiro plus on the full frame the subject looks less magnified (at 1:1 ) comper to crop sensor.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Jack Jack Yes I am planning to get one for my Tamron since I sold the Oshiro plus on the full frame the subject looks less magnified (at 1:1 ) comper to crop sensor.

You planning to buy if brand new?

Laszlo.kladni

Oct 14, 2020
I used the non-L Canon 100 mm until recently always used it on MF. Most AF systems can't keep up with the shallow DoF, small movements (subject and the camera+lens) plus the lightloss (small aperture+magnification). This applies only to around 1:1 magnification above it works as normal.

Laowa macro lenses are not just manual focus lenses but most have manual aperture.

I don't mind selling my Canon lens and buying both the Laowa 100 mm and the 25 mm 2.5-5x one. The image quality is really good and I don't mind the MF.

Bihari

Jul 27, 2020
I used the non-L Canon 100 mm until recently always used it on MF. Most AF systems can't keep up with the shallow DoF, small movements (subject and the camera+lens) plus the lightloss (small aperture+magnification). This applies only to around 1:1 magnification above it works as normal.

Laowa macro lenses are not just manual focus lenses but most have manual aperture.

I don't mind selling my Canon lens and buying both the Laowa 100 mm and the 25 mm 2.5-5x one. The image quality is really good and I don't mind the MF.
Don't forget if the apature is manual , then the focusing is really hard because of the light loss ( this is one of the reason why I sold my manual macro lens ) .