Begginer Raw or jpg

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello everyone. That's more a begginer discussion. Which you prefer to take images, in raw or jpg ? I believe that raw images has more colours than jpg. What's your thoughts about that?

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
Hi , I will answer , Raw AND Jpg lol. Raw is usefull for post production, if you use LR or PS, for the light. But the size is bigger ... I like to use JPG when I go outside for a long time (holidays for exemple) so I can use my camera with my phone, and the photo size is better for SD card :p

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi , I will answer , Raw AND Jpg lol. Raw is usefull for post production, if you use LR or PS, for the light. But the size is bigger ... I like to use JPG when I go outside for a long time (holidays for exemple) so I can use my camera with my phone, and the photo size is better for SD card :p
You right. When shooting in jpg saves some space on your sd card, however the image quality won't be the samr as when shooting in raw mode.

Usually you get jpg images when shooting in auto mode and raw when doing manual, but depends how your camera settings are set.

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
Sure, if you use RAW, rafal mode is slower too

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
Jack Jack you want to begin a fight, don't you? :eek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I prefer RAW.

a lot of people suggest beginners to start with JPG and then switch to RAW. I suggest them to shoot RAW from the very beginning or RAW+JPG.

• Haha
Reactions: Yohanna_D and Jack

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
No discussion for me... RAW! You've much more possibilies to correct the exposure and the white balance. Even a -2EV or +2EV over- or underexposed pictures can be mostly corrected without lost of quality. Unless the areas are not totally white or black with no informations left.

RAW + JPG might be also good but I edit all my pictures and will therefor always use my RAW file.

But I use CRAW which means compressed RAW. So every RAW file has 25mb for a 32MP photo.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Jack Jack you want to begin a fight, don't you? :eek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I prefer RAW.

a lot of people suggest beginners to start with JPG and then switch to RAW. I suggest them to shoot RAW from the very beginning or RAW+JPG.
šŸ˜šŸ˜‚. I always shoot in raw. But occasionally do jpg to, especially when shooting with my m50 in auto mode (not a lot of times)

I see no point to have raw +jpg, this will take extra space in your memory card.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

That's already depends how quick your memory card is.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
No discussion for me... RAW! You've much more possibilies to correct the exposure and the white balance. Even a -2EV or +2EV over- or underexposed pictures can be mostly corrected without lost of quality. Unless the areas are not totally white or black with no informations left.

RAW + JPG might be also good but I edit all my pictures and will therefor always use my RAW file.

But I use CRAW which means compressed RAW. So every RAW file has 25mb for a 32MP photo.
CRAW, I'm not sure if i have that on my camera settings. In my 7d m2, i always shoot in manual mode and raw files. When comes to my little m50, sometimes i use automatic mode which this will use jpg format and take less space.

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
I am a beginner and for almost 4 years I use JPG šŸ˜‚. I dont really understand the difference of JPG and RAW. I only know JPG's file size is less than RAW.
But now after I joined this group, I changed my camera setting to RAW. In case, I spot a good object and I don't want to lose the quality. šŸ˜

Reactions: Yohanna_D and Jack