Begginer Raw or jpg

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I am a beginner and for almost 4 years I use JPG 😂. I dont really understand the difference of JPG and RAW. I only know JPG's file size is less than RAW.
But now after I joined this group, I changed my camera setting to RAW. In case, I spot a good object and I don't want to lose the quality. 😁
The difference is, the image quality and colours when editing in Photoshop or Lightroom. It does take more room if you have set raw file format.

Reactions: lovitazoe

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
I am a beginner and for almost 4 years I use JPG 😂. I dont really understand the difference of JPG and RAW. I only know JPG's file size is less than RAW.
But now after I joined this group, I changed my camera setting to RAW. In case, I spot a good object and I don't want to lose the quality. 😁

Yes,Jack. You all guide me to understanding more about photography with camera

Reactions: Jack

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
Hello everyone. That's more a begginer discussion. Which you prefer to take images, in raw or jpg ? I believe that raw images has more colours than jpg. What's your thoughts about that?
Without a doubt I shoot and prefer RAW than jpeg. Jpeg is a compressed format and you lose so much information about the photo - details hence pixels.
Besides Raw allows you to work in Camera raw and Lightroom and do your pre settings and then you can work on photoshop or again on LR to adjust other preferences.

Reactions: lovitazoe and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
feel free to ask questions or to start other photography topics for discussion.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello everyone. That's more a begginer discussion. Which you prefer to take images, in raw or jpg ? I believe that raw images has more colours than jpg. What's your thoughts about that?
Without a doubt I shoot and prefer RAW than jpeg. Jpeg is a compressed format and you lose so much information about the photo - details hence pixels.
Besides Raw allows you to work in Camera raw and Lightroom and do your pre settings and then you can work on photoshop or again on LR to adjust other preferences.
You totally right. However, you can edit jpg photos as well in Lr or Ps, but as you said a lot of information will be lost. And i don't think jpg photo can save gps coordinations as well.

Reactions: Yohanna_D

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
great decision lovitazoe lovitazoe ! one should always shoot in raw if he wants great quality photos!

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
yes, but it's harder to access Camera Raw to work jpeg on it; technically only raw images can be edited in Camera Raw - hence the name.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
what do you mean? I know that you can edit any image format in Lightroom. There is a new type of raw on my m50 which requires new Lr versions. But still you can import it and edit it.

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
ok, Jack. Probably soon. But i worry nobody will answer my silly question as i don't know much 😂.

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021

I will remember always this. I already changed my camera setting 😃.

Reactions: Yohanna_D