Photography of ants ... need some suggestions on how to enhance magnification

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
I know what you are saying, but without a flash will be very hard to get good results. Also if you will have high ISO , you will have noise on your pictures which isn’t nice. So definitely get a flash , check amazon or eBay, you can find very affordable flashes. After you can get a diffuser too.
here my shot of the day called " one foot in focus" ,ha ha, used Godox flash, ttl mode, auto, diffused it, one of my first tries ....on f 11, ISO 200

Attachments

• one_foot_in_focus_web33%.jpg
    one_foot_in_focus_web33%.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 2

Suresh Khaire

Apr 15, 2020
I see, so not possible without flash then...I mean f 20 does not spit out very good quality on my system, a lot diffraction. Up to f 13 max is still acceptable, but better max 11, so between 8 to 11.
In my example I was photographing in the shadows, so high ISO and wider aperture, as I had no flash.
On the other hand, I do not really want to stress the poor insects with a flash...hmmm?
No idea about the flash, I will do some research and about different lenses with extension tubes...youtube my best friend ...just want to magnify the result, I like small DOF
Best is f14 to f16 with speedlite and tracing paper diffuser at 1/4th power in manual mode will give you great results. Try it and experience. Black ants on sugar ball. Taken with 50mm f1.4 + 65mm extn., speedlite attached to the camera shoe with tracing paper attached to it in extended shape with regards,

Attachments

• F_SK_7647.jpg
    F_SK_7647.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 3

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
Best is f14 to f16 with speedlite and tracing paper diffuser at 1/4th power in manual mode will give you great results. Try it and experience. Black ants on sugar ball. Taken with 50mm f1.4 + 65mm extn., speedlite attached to the camera shoe with tracing paper attached to it in extended shape with regards,
it depends on your camera and lens , really....what magnification are you shooting ?

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
This is general. If you are using kit lens than do not go beyond f11 whereas if pro-lenses than use upto f8. Regards,
well, I use Macro lens, 1:1, Olympus 60 mm...and yes I can crank it up to f 22 and get a usable result...but much better around f 11 ( better lower for quality in sharpness)

Reactions: Suresh Khaire

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
OK, I got the flash, I use higher aperture ( here f 11, but I also tried higher with some good results, just no ant ), but the magnification problem will be solved later...I did some research and found the Raynox DCR 250 lens, which will add magnification to even the macro lens....I asked one expert online if it makes sense on the macro lens: answer :yes...So, waiting for the postman now ...this example is not 100 % 1:1, I think more towards 1:1.3...external flash manually controlled...a bit too flashy ( marginal) maybe here...need more practice, but I love the composition here, fore-, middle- and background, depth in the image and of course the ant that came to visit this scene... so, another way to enhance magnification, that is to add extension tubes, but you will lose more light again. So, I decided to go for the magnifying lens and see how much that will bring me, cheers and thanks for your advices @all ...to be continued...

Attachments

• another_ant_25%web.jpg
    another_ant_25%web.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
OK, I got the flash, I use higher aperture ( here f 11, but I also tried higher with some good results, just no ant ), but the magnification problem will be solved later...I did some research and found the Raynox DCR 250 lens, which will add magnification to even the macro lens....I asked one expert online if it makes sense on the macro lens: answer :yes...So, waiting for the postman now ...this example is not 100 % 1:1, I think more towards 1:1.3...external flash manually controlled...a bit too flashy ( marginal) maybe here...need more practice, but I love the composition here, fore-, middle- and background, depth in the image and of course the ant that came to visit this scene... so, another way to enhance magnification, that is to add extension tubes, but you will lose more light again. So, I decided to go for the magnifying lens and see how much that will bring me, cheers and thanks for your advices @all ...to be continued...
i have been a regular user of dcr 250 to my 18-55 lens. however i ditched it when i got my macro 90mm. the reason was simple, why compromise on the IQ by adding 2 more glass elements?

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
i have been a regular user of dcr 250 to my 18-55 lens. however i ditched it when i got my macro 90mm. the reason was simple, why compromise on the IQ by adding 2 more glass elements?
Yes, well, is there a better way for magnification where you do not lose anything? I guess you always lose out on something if you go above 1:1