Photography of ants ... need some suggestions on how to enhance magnification

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
Yes, well, is there a better way for magnification where you do not lose anything? I guess you always lose out on something if you go above 1:1
the best option is using extension tubes. since there is no glass element, the loss is minimum.
the attached picture is 90mm macro + (12+20+36)=68mm extension tube on a cropped sensor d7200 pollen of hibiscus-200418-shan-1708.jpg

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
the best option is using extension tubes. since there is no glass element, the loss is minimum.
I'll see, I will try both out anyway, just decided to go for the magnifier first, as I can test it on other lenses too...a bellow is the next idea, but hey, that one is for later...or two lenses in reverse attached etc. ...cannot try it all at once ..but I am sure I will as I want to go into detail more...

Reactions: Steph

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
I'll see, I will try both out anyway, just decided to go for the magnifier first, as I can test it on other lenses too...a bellow is the next idea, but hey, that one is for later...or two lenses in reverse attached etc. ...cannot try it all at once ..but I am sure I will as I want to go into detail more...
Reverse lens is good for the home studio.. Does not work on the field. Extension tubes are cheap...

Reactions: Steph and SonjaD

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
http://naturescapes.online/2019/01/21/reverse-macro-photography/ a great article about reverse lens photography... and look at these images with Raynox on Olympus Macro ( they also use sometimes both: Raynox and extension tubes) in dpreview forum: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63337282 so it is possible ;) cheers, just thought I share this
definitely its possible, but its too complicated and cumbersome..and the setup gets more importance than the subject. Get a lens reversal ring for starters..its fun!

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
definitely its possible, but its too complicated and cumbersome..and the setup gets more importance than the subject. Get a lens reversal ring for starters..its fun!
Seriously, I do not like how you try to tell me ' what is right or wrong' for me.... Do you think that you are always right in what you say? You are driven by your own assumptions, but I am not listening to them, sorry. First you say a reversed lens is useless in the field, now you say it is fun...for example. When I started this post, you all tried to ' enhance my DOF' not the magnification that I was looking for. You can close this thread now. I am done with it. Cheers.

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
Seriously, I do not like how you try to tell me ' what is right or wrong' for me.... Do you think that you are always right in what you say? You are driven by your own assumptions, but I am not listening to them, sorry. First you say a reversed lens is useless in the field, now you say it is fun...for example. When I started this post, you all tried to ' enhance my DOF' not the magnification that I was looking for. You can close this thread now. I am done with it. Cheers.
my apologies if i came across as rude or abrupt. That was never my intention. Mebbe i could not communicate well enough. Peace.