raw vs jpeg

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I normally shoot in raw only. But today i did shoot raw+jpeg. Jpeg settings Large + standard creative style. I always noticed that the raw files needed some work when they were imported into lightroom, they did not look like the out of the camera jpeg files. But today after importing all the photos i could not tell without looking at the files extension which was which.
These 2 photos are unedited exports from lightroom, one of them is the exported raw file, the other is the exported jpeg file. i only resized them in photoshop, nothing else done to them. I can not tell which is which (i know but can not say here)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Solution
there's an easy test: set the creative style to monochrome and the camera to RAW+JPG, take a shot and import it to LR.

• if the RAW file is a colored image, then there's no problem at all.
  • if the RAW file is a b/w image, give some time to LR to fully load the image, as LR shows the embedded JPG thumbnail inside the RAW file and then it processes the RAW and shows its own version. your new RAW files are 42MP and much bigger than the ones from the A6400 or the Nikon were. it may take several seconds for this process to finish.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I do not know if this is normal or if there is a problem with my laptop or camera. Set camera to raw+jpeg and standard colour space and then I took 3 photos, 1 +2 over exposed, 1 -2 underexposed and 1 at iso 5000. I imported all into lightroom and also copied them to my second internal harddrive and looked at the photos in fastviewer.

Both the jpeg and the raw file on all the photos looked almost identical. Even at iso 5000 there was almost no difference between them.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Then you need to check your camera settings. It's really odd that these images are different when suppose to be the same.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Then you need to check your camera settings. It's really odd that these images are different when suppose to be the same.
My raw files were never the same as the jpeg files when i imported them in lightroom. This is only since lightroom was recently updated to version 11. If you google you find numerous posts about people asking why the raw files look so dull and different from the jpeg file of the photo.

At the moment i am not even sure if the raw files my camera creates are actually raw files and not just jpegs that are renamed to .raw

oscar118

Aug 6, 2021
Raw files should look more flat and "boring" than JPGs as they lack all the in camera processing to increase contrast, saturation and decrease noise. Also they should be MUCH bigger in size (bytes) since JPGs are compressed.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Raw files should look more flat and "boring" than JPGs as they lack all the in camera processing to increase contrast, saturation and decrease noise. Also they should be MUCH bigger in size (bytes) since JPGs are compressed.

Weird, when I've done raw + jpg they was looking exactly the same. Unless there is different type of raw file, as new camera they do craw if I'm not wrong, example my M50 raw file is totally different from my 7d m2.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
My raw files were never the same as the jpeg files when i imported them in lightroom. This is only since lightroom was recently updated to version 11. If you google you find numerous posts about people asking why the raw files look so dull and different from the jpeg file of the photo.

At the moment i am not even sure if the raw files my camera creates are actually raw files and not just jpegs that are renamed to .raw

So when you have noticed the difference?

oscar118

Aug 6, 2021
What are you using to view raw files? If on camera, you are just viewing a jpg thumbnail... look at file size on a PC. For example Nikon D5600 24 MP FINE jpgs are about 7MB, raws aprox 22 MB

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
So when you have noticed the difference?
I have noticed the difference since the last update of lightroom. I have the monthly subscription for lightroom and photoshop.

What are you using to view raw files? If on camera, you are just viewing a jpg thumbnail... look at file size on a PC. For example Nikon D5600 24 MP FINE jpgs are about 7MB, raws aprox 22 MB
I am viewing the raw file on my laptop. Tried photoshop and lightroom, both without any editing. Also tried faststone image viewer, it also shows both the raw and jpeg file looking almost identical.
Like you also said, the raw file should be flat and boring compared to the ooc jpeg file, but ithey are not. Used to be but not any more. So not sure what is causing it. I started topic at adobe support but up till now no solution to it.

oscar118

Aug 6, 2021
I have noticed the difference since the last update of lightroom. I have the monthly subscription for lightroom and photoshop.

I am viewing the raw file on my laptop. Tried photoshop and lightroom, both without any editing. Also tried faststone image viewer, it also shows both the raw and jpeg file looking almost identical.
Like you also said, the raw file should be flat and boring compared to the ooc jpeg file, but ithey are not. Used to be but not any more. So not sure what is causing it. I started topic at adobe support but up till now no solution to it.
File sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies.