which camera to go for

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Since the second Sony a6400 is also back to the shop for repairs, it got the same problems as the previous one, i am not sure if i still want an Sony a6400. This is the second camera in just 8 months that has to go back for repairs and the first one never came back and was replaced by the one that is now also back for repairs.

Problem is that all my gear, it is not much, 3 lenses and a speedlite is for Sony cameras. I could sell it or trade it in but then i will be loosing a lot of money. So i have been thinking of staying with Sony but go for a full frame camera. The a7iii is still to expensive even as second hand one and also the a7riii is too expensive, even more then the a7iii.

So i am thinking of going either for the a7ii or the a7rii. The a7ii is used around €700-800, but new it is on sale for €849 , both body only. The a7rii is about €1199 second hand and a new one is around €1799.

That is a big difference between both cameras. So is the a7rii so much better for macro that it justifies the €400 extra for second hand and €950 extra for a new one? Or would you not see the difference between them. Does the larger MP make a big difference?

What would you go for and why?

Reactions: Natalie and Jack
Solution
I would go for the A7RII.

the A7II only got the in body camera stabilization (IBIS) and some minor improvements, if any, over the original A7.
the A7RII got the IBIS, a new AF system, far better than the one on the original A7R and better than the one on the A7II. I know AF is mostly useless for macro and that you have a manual macro lens, but it's nice to have it for anything non-macro. it was also the first Sony camera with a back illuminated sensor that improves image noise.

anyway, you should check if your computer can manage those 42MP RAW files. you can download some RAW files from here and fiddle with them.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I have decided to wait until i have my a6400 back, repaired or replaced, or maybe even the money back. Should take another 3-4 weeks, hoping maybe even a bit sooner.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I have got 3 lenses for Sony.
Sony SEL 16-50mm F/3.5-5.6 OSS
Sony SEL 55-210mm F/4.5-6.3 OSS
LAOWA 100MM F/2.8 2X ULTRA-MACRO APO

If you switch, then you should check if there is any adapter available, so you can use your Sony lenses on other camera brand. Otherwise, just stick with Sony and get new Sony body. Probably the cheapest option.

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
If you switch, then you should check if there is any adapter available, so you can use your Sony lenses on other camera brand. Otherwise, just stick with Sony and get new Sony body. Probably the cheapest option.
I think that you are right about sticking with Sony being the cheapest option. All in all i do like the Sony camera, also do not have a problem with the menu. The camera grip works for me and the button layout is good. All put together i think it will come to me sticking with Sony for the time being. Would like to have a full frame camera as second camera for other photography then macro but been put of a bit by the price of full frame lenses.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I think that you are right about sticking with Sony being the cheapest option. All in all i do like the Sony camera, also do not have a problem with the menu. The camera grip works for me and the button layout is good. All put together i think it will come to me sticking with Sony for the time being. Would like to have a full frame camera as second camera for other photography then macro but been put of a bit by the price of full frame lenses.

You can get a second camera full frame from Canon if that’s cheaper and get an adapter to use your Sony lenses on it. i had this idea before to switch to Sony, but that will cost a lot, and I think is not worth at the moment. I would say that sticking to what you have is the best and cheapest way.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
You can get a second camera full frame from Canon if that’s cheaper and get an adapter to use your Sony lenses on it. i had this idea before to switch to Sony, but that will cost a lot, and I think is not worth at the moment. I would say that sticking to what you have is the best and cheapest way.
The biggest problem with getting a second body which is full frame are the lenses. The Laowa lens is full frame, so that will not be a problem. But the other 2 lenses are aps-c lenses and using them on a full frame camera is restricting the sensor. You can put the camera in aps-c mode but then you will get 10mp instead of 24mp. Used a7ii can be found from about 600 euro here in good condition.

Reactions: Jack

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
you can't use Sony lenses on Canon cameras, but you can use Canon EF lenses on Sony cameras. it's a matter of the distance from the mount to the sensor or flange distance. most DSLR lenses can be adapted to any mirrorless camera as the flange distance in DSLR systems is big enough to allow the use of an adapter.

Reactions: Jack and TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I will have to look into using adapters. Have no experience with using them. Could make getting a Sony a7ii maybe a possibility

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I will have to look into using adapters. Have no experience with using them. Could make getting a Sony a7ii maybe a possibility
well, I'm not much up to date in adapters and how well/bad they work, but you should have into account that AF is not going to work as with native lenses. for MF they're a good alternative.

I've been using a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L macro adapted to my Sony A6000 for a long time, but AF didn't work at all. I could live with that as for macro AF is mostly useless.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
you can't use Sony lenses on Canon cameras, but you can use Canon EF lenses on Sony cameras. it's a matter of the distance from the mount to the sensor or flange distance. most DSLR lenses can be adapted to any mirrorless camera as the flange distance in DSLR systems is big enough to allow the use of an adapter.

I wasn't aware about that. I know that we can use canon lenses on Sony cameras with an adapter, and thought that's possible other way around too.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The biggest problem with getting a second body which is full frame are the lenses. The Laowa lens is full frame, so that will not be a problem. But the other 2 lenses are aps-c lenses and using them on a full frame camera is restricting the sensor. You can put the camera in aps-c mode but then you will get 10mp instead of 24mp. Used a7ii can be found from about 600 euro here in good condition.
That's weird, is that the issue if you will use these lenses on full frame? Then you should get a crop body camera, if I'm not wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.