which camera to go for

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Since the second Sony a6400 is also back to the shop for repairs, it got the same problems as the previous one, i am not sure if i still want an Sony a6400. This is the second camera in just 8 months that has to go back for repairs and the first one never came back and was replaced by the one that is now also back for repairs.

Problem is that all my gear, it is not much, 3 lenses and a speedlite is for Sony cameras. I could sell it or trade it in but then i will be loosing a lot of money. So i have been thinking of staying with Sony but go for a full frame camera. The a7iii is still to expensive even as second hand one and also the a7riii is too expensive, even more then the a7iii.

So i am thinking of going either for the a7ii or the a7rii. The a7ii is used around €700-800, but new it is on sale for €849 , both body only. The a7rii is about €1199 second hand and a new one is around €1799.

That is a big difference between both cameras. So is the a7rii so much better for macro that it justifies the €400 extra for second hand and €950 extra for a new one? Or would you not see the difference between them. Does the larger MP make a big difference?

What would you go for and why?

Reactions: Natalie and Jack
Solution
I would go for the A7RII.

the A7II only got the in body camera stabilization (IBIS) and some minor improvements, if any, over the original A7.
the A7RII got the IBIS, a new AF system, far better than the one on the original A7R and better than the one on the A7II. I know AF is mostly useless for macro and that you have a manual macro lens, but it's nice to have it for anything non-macro. it was also the first Sony camera with a back illuminated sensor that improves image noise.

anyway, you should check if your computer can manage those 42MP RAW files. you can download some RAW files from here and fiddle with them.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
That's weird, is that the issue if you will use these lenses on full frame? Then you should get a crop body camera, if I'm not wrong.
For my macro work it would not make a difference. My macro lens is a full frame macro lens. I will have to look a bit deeper into using aps-c lenses on full frame body and see if it would work for me to get a full frame camera as second body. Also need to do a bit more research on using adapter on sony a7 cameras.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Just to be curious. If you had the choice between an a7 for €329 or a a7ii for €599 which one would you go for? The a7 has some light scratched lcd screen and the a7ii has some scratches and paint missing bottom plate. Shutter count both unknown.

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
That's weird, is that the issue if you will use these lenses on full frame? Then you should get a crop body camera, if I'm not wrong.
oh my dear Canonists, how small is your world (no offense).

Canon is the only brand that doesn't allow to use APS-C lenses on FF cameras. Nikon, Pentax and Sony allow you to mix and match as you like. there's of course the inconvenience of losing MP when mounting crop lenses on FF cameras, but hey, at least that allows you to move slowly from APS-C to FF, specially if you don't need to print.

the thing is, that Canon didn't allow it with DSLRs and now with mirrorless they worsen it making two different mounts. a smart bet if they ever decide to wipe the EF-M mount and force their customers to buy RF crop cameras and lenses.

Reactions: Jack and TMG1961

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
Just to be curious. If you had the choice between an a7 for €329 or a a7ii for €599 which one would you go for? The a7 has some light scratched lcd screen and the a7ii has some scratches and paint missing bottom plate. Shutter count both unknown.
that's an easy choice for me. with my shaky hands, I would always choose the stabilized option, in this case the A7II, more so if my macro lens didn't have stabilization.

but, knowing the shutter count is mandatory, it's not the same an almost new shutter than an almost dead one.

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
that's an easy choice for me. with my shaky hands, I would always choose the stabilized option, in this case the A7II, more so if my macro lens didn't have stabilization.
My Laowa lens is not stabilised. The 2 other Sony aps-c lenses are both stabilised. The €599 for the Sony a7ii is a good price, most used ones here in The Netherlands go for 749-799. New ones at the moment for €849 but that is above my current set absolute maximum budget of €700

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
My Laowa lens is not stabilised. The 2 other Sony aps-c lenses are both stabilised. The €599 for the Sony a7ii is a good price, most used ones here in The Netherlands go for 749-799. New ones at the moment for €849 but that is above my current set absolute maximum budget of €700
as I said, shutter count is a must. if it is above 100k clicks, I wouldn't buy it. according to Sony, the shutter life expectancy of the A7II is 200k clicks.

you should ask the sellers to take a photo using f/16 and email it to you as you want to see how dirty the sensor is or any other excuse you can think of. then upload it here and check the number.

edit: Jack Jack why is the word "m a i l" forbidden? it appeared as four * when I saved this post. I edited and changed it to email.

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
as I said, shutter count is a must. if it is above 100k clicks, I wouldn't buy it. according to Sony, the shutter life expectancy of the A7II is 200k clicks.

you should ask the sellers to take a photo using f/16 and email it to you as you want to see how dirty the sensor is or any other excuse you can think of. then upload it here and check the number.

edit: Jack Jack why is the word "m a i l" forbidden? it appeared as four * when I saved this post. I edited and changed it to email.
I contacted them about the a7ii and asked about the shutter speed. They gave me a story about it not being accurate for sony cameras and they had problems with customers that found a higher count then that they gave so they stopped.

Also they could not make a photo and send that to me because the cameras were stored in a warehouse somewhere else and the customer service desk didn't have acces to the cameras.

I always try to buy either new one or with a shutter count less then 10k and with a 1 year warranty when used. New cameras get standard 2 year warranty here.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I also mailed them to ask about the repair and when i could expect my camera back either repaired, replaced or refunded. Haven't heard from them yet so still uncertain when the a6400 will be back home again.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Canon is the only brand that doesn't allow to use APS-C lenses on FF cameras. Nikon, Pentax and Sony allow you to mix and match as you like. there's of course the inconvenience of losing MP when mounting crop lenses on FF cameras, but hey, at least that allows you to move slowly from APS-C to FF, specially if you don't need to print.
Honestly I didn't knew about it. But that's interesting fact to know for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.