Photography Canon L series lenses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
You made good point here Helix_2648 Helix_2648 , same as @Guest 1012 . Yes as hobby photographer I would definitely go for second hand lenses or EF-S. But example you can cheat in some cases, example low light, or macro photography. Also in my opinion, it's all about who is behind the camera too.

I also checked the Canon R6 @Guest 1012 , that's out of the option. Way way to expensive, it's around £2.500. To buy R series lenses and a camera, I need to break the bank :D

G

Guest 1012

Jack Jack maybe you should wait if you want a FF camera. I'm pretty sure Canon will announce a new FF this year and I have a feeling that it will be affordable. Buying the R or the RP is not a good investment right now, leaving aside the sensor that it's not that great for a FF. EOS R was an experiment in my opinion, it was Canon's first mirrorless and it didnt' have a new sensor (like R5/R6/1DX do), it has a sensor that was already old for that time (EOS 5D IV, which was launched in 2016) and the RP has the 6D II sensor which was launched in 2017.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I'm not really in rush. And R series cameras including lenses are way to expensive. And I don't think that's a good time for such big investment too. At the moment still happy with my 7d m2 and m50. I still use my l lenses on m50 sometimes, which does great results.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I'm not really in rush. And R series cameras including lenses are way to expensive. And I don't think that's a good time for such big investment too. At the moment still happy with my 7d m2 and m50. I still use my l lenses on m50 sometimes, which does great results.
...would be great to see some pictures from you instead of discussing about a new camera Jack Jack. ;) (broad hint)

• Grinning Face

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
...would be great to see some pictures from you instead of discussing about a new camera Jack Jack. ;) (broad hint)

You know I didn’t had real time to take images . But yes, I will check my stock to see what I can share here :D

tyedyetommy

Jan 18, 2021
I have a couple of L lenses
I like them
However I use the SP Tamron for macro
I like it, it is fast and sharp as all get out
It has better IS than Canon
And at under 600 hundred dollars, new.
It is hard to beat

Reactions: Helix_2648 and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I have a couple of L lenses
I like them
However I use the SP Tamron for macro
I like it, it is fast and sharp as all get out
It has better IS than Canon
And at under 600 hundred dollars, new.
It is hard to beat

L lenses do have good quality, but very expensive.

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
Reading through this thread I'll toss in my two bits. I prefer good glass over a new camera body any day. That said, I can't justify spending money on brand new L-series lens but I am always on the look out for good condition used L-Series lenses. I set aside a little money every paycheck and build up a cache of cash. I constantly check online sites for good used lens and when I see a good price I pull the trigger.

Sigma and Tamron make some great lenses Hands down the Sigma 150mm Macro smokes the Canon 180 L. It's Probably my favorite field stacking lens. Gives you plenty of distance at 1:1 and razor sharp from corner-to-corner even on the high pixel density sensors. Likewise I'll take the new Tamron 90mm over any lens in the ~100mm focal range. Optically it's as good as any lens in this category and the price to performance ratio is off the charts , even new. There is a caveat with Sigma and Tamron though, depreciation is much greater than Canon L or Nikon Gold Ring lenses. Conversely you can great really good prices on the used market.

Using Canon-L on a Canon R - no problem, the Canon R-EF adapter works flawlessly. I wouldn't sell L-glass, just get the adapter and your in business. Always keep good glass. You'll know when it's reached it's peak performance and that certainly isn't the case on the Canon-R.

Finally Jack you noted the equivalent focal distance advantage of using FF glass on an APC-S camera. The other advantage is you aren't using the edges of the glass where we often experience distortion and CA, particularly when shooting wide open (even on some L-lenses).

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thanks A-PeeR A-PeeR . That’s the only benefit using L glasses on crop camera, getting extra reach. But I believe depends on what is your subject, sometimes i found a bit annoying having extra reach, the quality of images are very sharp. But again, depends on how sunny its outside, low light does affect the image, no matter what glass you are using.