own website or online portfolio?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Sandy Nelson

Jun 5, 2020
Very nice, Sandy. Nice pictures, and I like the way you organized things. I had wanted to do something similar in Adobe Portfolio (groups within other groups) but couldn't figure out how. Maybe it was a limitation of the template I chose, or maybe a limitation of the user :)
Thank you, I find the organization of the home page way too cluttered. I have struggled with it a lot! I wanted the home page to be the main categories, e.g. "Antarctica" and then sub-pages for each topic. Which is kind of how it is organized, but I can't figure out how to make the home page just have the main topics instead of all of the sub-topics. Not sure if I will spend more time trying to figure this out, or use a different provider.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thank you, I find the organization of the home page way too cluttered. I have struggled with it a lot! I wanted the home page to be the main categories, e.g. "Antarctica" and then sub-pages for each topic. Which is kind of how it is organized, but I can't figure out how to make the home page just have the main topics instead of all of the sub-topics. Not sure if I will spend more time trying to figure this out, or use a different provider.

Have a look at squarespace. There should be some settings to disable portfolio with pictures, or simple create an other page with topics and make it home page. This is just a guess from my experience with different CMSs

Sandy Nelson

Jun 5, 2020
Are you looking for simple portfolio website ?
I would like to have a website where i could sell pictures. I have sold several whale prints to Facebook contacts, but I have to set my own prices, collect the money, order from a printer and arrange delivery to the 3rd party. I have been looking at a few options where they take a small cut for collecting the money and arranging printing and delivery. Leaning towards Zenfolio, but I haven't decided on anything yet. I'm retired and don't want to curtail my own (future hopefully!) travels to have to babysit a website. Suggestions welcome! <3

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I would like to have a website where i could sell pictures. I have sold several whale prints to Facebook contacts, but I have to set my own prices, collect the money, order from a printer and arrange delivery to the 3rd party. I have been looking at a few options where they take a small cut for collecting the money and arranging printing and delivery. Leaning towards Zenfolio, but I haven't decided on anything yet. I'm retired and don't want to curtail my own (future hopefully!) travels to have to babysit a website. Suggestions welcome! <3

What I will suggest you, to build a simple portfolio and for ecommerce you can use Etsy. If you have some IT skills and knowledge you might want to try WordPress with ecommerce , which is very good. But you will need a premium theme for a beautiful page.

Sandy Nelson

Jun 5, 2020
Beautiful website and pictures you have Sandy Nelson Sandy Nelson 🤩

Yeah Jack Jack I need to improve my portfolio 😉, in Adobe Portfolio is some of potentials, maybe not best but I don't need to spend money on,when I have creative Cloud service.. but can be still better and more professional 😉😃
But everything needs time. .. Mostly 😃
Thanks so much! It does take a lot of time, first editing and picking the pictures to upload, and then to upload them. I still haven't figured out SEO, so no one searching on google would ever find my pics....:rolleyes: It's on my list of things to do

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Thanks so much! It does take a lot of time, first editing and picking the pictures to upload, and then to upload them. I still haven't figured out SEO, so no one searching on google would ever find my pics....:rolleyes: It's on my list of things to do

If you decide to go wtih WordPress, highly recommend you to install Symbiostock addon, is just amazing addon for photographers, you can add there what you want to sell, canvases , prints and others. I'm using it, but never sold any sadly.

grphotog641

Apr 23, 2020
I was trying to have a Macro page with photos, but then a Youth Sports page that instead of having photos, had photo links to a Wrestling page, Field Hockey page, etc.
I thought I had a solution using links, but while the links worked in my editor mode, they didn't work in the published version.

And yes, Jack, I know all this stuff can be done with a real webpage tool. For me it was mostly an exercise in seeing what could be done in Adobe Portfolio and creating a highly-curated portfolio to show school people when I ask about shooting for the HS booster organization.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I was trying to have a Macro page with photos, but then a Youth Sports page that instead of having photos, had photo links to a Wrestling page, Field Hockey page, etc.
I thought I had a solution using links, but while the links worked in my editor mode, they didn't work in the published version.

And yes, Jack, I know all this stuff can be done with a real webpage tool. For me it was mostly an exercise in seeing what could be done in Adobe Portfolio and creating a highly-curated portfolio to show school people when I ask about shooting for the HS booster organization.

As I never tried Adobe portfolio sites, are they free of charge, or there a monthly fees ?